Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fall fun and Classes

This last weekend I crossed the border and went to a Creating Keepsakes Convention. It was a scrapbooking and papercrafts convention. I went with two friends Shelley and Lee. We had a great time and are already looking forward to next year! We attended many classes. One of my favourites was a Technique Tuesday card class"A Greeting for Every Reason". These cards used some new stamping techniques, and some new products. They taught us many ways to use one small set of stamps. The four cards shown below were made with the same small set of stamps.


A couple of weeks ago at the end of October, Shelley and I attended the BC Crop for Kids. It was three days of cropping and classes. We attended one class with a new instructor and some very good card designs. These cards are absolutely beautiful! I find them inspiring and full of ideas. The class was called "Seasons Greetings" and used paper from "Blackriver Designs" whom I had never heard of but I really love their products.

I really enjoyed seeing all the great ways I can use my border punches. Isn't this paper wonderful. They even have some great rubons. My favourite new look is one the card below, where you round alternate corners of a square. It makes a cool shape. It was nice to see someone using Cuttlebug embossed papers.

The white card with the half circle design was made with a rub on. Just look at the detail of that. The little tag hanging from the ribbon is quite cute as well.

We also had a great time taking a class with Shelley's siter in law. it was called the "Not so Secret Garden" and taught all different types of flowers to make with paper. This was fun and eye opening. The flowers, for the most part, are stunning and simple.
This one is just layering of different shapes and materials of various sizes. It's cute hey.

This one is by far my favourite and not just because it calls for bling. Look at this flower! You would never guess that it was made from old sewing patterns. There were about 15 layers of sewing pattern punched out, then we crumpled them up and sprayed them with Glimmer Mist (a favourite product). When they were dry we glued them together and then scrunched them again, artfully, and added some wool balls and glitter. BEAUTIFUL!

It was a great card design as well. My question about these cards was "How are they supposed to fit into an envelope?" My answer was that these were hand delivered cards, no envelpoe needed. I'm not so sure about that idea, but I sure like the card.

These next three cards I am not so fond of. The middle one (when I looked at other peoples)
I liked. My circles were too different in size.
While we spent our days crafting, the Crop for Kids offered "Make and Takes". these are small projects to teach you about new techniques or materials. I did a couple of card ones. I think they are pretty good.
Shelley, Leslie and I also took a class called "Dramatic Background Effects". This class used products from Upsy Daisy Designs. It taught new techniques for using your stamps, inks and embossing powders. I thought the techniques were great, but I disliked the one stamp set available to us. So I finished the cards at home with my own stamps. I really enjoyed the design of the gift card holder(front and center).

In September I cheated on shelley by attending a Glitter class at Clipper Street without her. I took my friend Jodi, and introduced her to Glitter and the Glitter Queen, Lori. Lori did not dissappoint and had some great new products and designs for us. On this card the "wish" was a die cut piece of blue paper and Sookwang tape.
This card was definately the belle of the ball. I found it very daunting, I even had to ask for help in placing my petals. But it makes a really stunning Pointsetta, of course most people did theris in red and green. I never follow the rules, and I like mine just fine, classy, sophistocated, and Lori loved it!
We then used some new products on this last card. We used a glue stamp pad on the cuttlebug embossed paper. Just rub it over the raised part and sprinkle on the glitter. We then used a snowflake rub on design adhesive from Clearsnap Designs. We then sprinkled on the glitter but don't rub it in (no burnishing). If you want it extra flashy then don't use Ultra Fine Glitter. Two excellent products that I was happy to try.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Of course Lori loved your poinsettia. She is a strong supporter of individuality (and you are teacher's pet). I have to admit that I quite love the colour choices you made in that card too. Thanks for sharing all of your finished products!